Settlement Expected in Homeless Lawsuit – Los Angeles

What to know

  • Long-running litigation demands that local government provide shelter for thousands in the region.
  • The settlement will be announced on Friday morning.
  • U.S. District Judge David Carter directed a series mandatory settlement talks.

Los Angeles officials and members from the LA Alliance for Human Rights expect to announce Friday morning that they have settled a long-running lawsuit seeking shelter for thousands of people who had been camping along sidewalks and near roads throughout the city.

A quick notice of the news conference stated that Mayor Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles City Council President Nury Martz and other city officials would assist in making the announcement with representatives from the LA Alliance.

It was striking that no mention was made of any officials from Los Angeles County participating in the announcement. Although the county was named as a defendant by the March 2020 complaint it recently withdrew its participation in closed-door settlement negotiations in Los Angeles federal Court. It was not immediately known what, if any, role the county played in the settlement.

U.S. District Judge David Carter ordered mandatory settlement talks to start in February after county and city representatives said they didn’t know when or if they could strike a joint agreement that would result in a mutually beneficial arrangement with the group of downtown residents, homeless people and property owners who had filed the suit.

The past six weeks saw city and county representatives move in and out of Carter’s chambers for lengthy meetings. There was little to no progress until last week, when there were signs that a settlement was possible.

Carter asked Garcetti and Martinez to attend the private meetings at least twice.

Carter has been referred multiple times to a judge during open court hearings. “historic schism”Between the county and city, which had apparently thwarted previous settlement attempts.

They were supposed to reach a compromise over funding and other issues, before a deal with the L.A. Alliance could take place.

Representatives from the county did not respond immediately to a request for comment. Kathryn Barger, Supervisor, told City News Service last month that she hopes settlement talks will yield. “a shared county and city commitment that includes a combination of services and housing options along with appropriate enforcement.”

Carter stated more times than once that he was becoming increasingly concerned about the situation. “inertia”on the defense, and directed that the talks be stopped. There had been months of no meaningful progress.

L.A. Alliance’s lawsuit had been indefinitely on hold since it was filed, with the intention of forcing local governments to take action. “comprehensively”Downtown homelessness crisis:

It seems that the focus has shifted from Skid Row, the thousands of homeless people living in the area and next to the freeways to the entire county to the Skid Row area.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is difficult to determine the actual number of people affected.

Plaintiffs claimed that services have not kept up with the growing crisis in the areas where the homeless are found.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here