A California panel rejected parole Friday for Charles Manson’s follower. He was convicted of killings over a century ago.
Bruce Davis had been recommended for parole seven times before, but the governors rejected those recommendations three times. Parole commissioners advised the 79 year-old Davis to apply for parole again within three years.
“They said he lacks empathy,” Michael Beckman, Davis’ attorney, said after the hearing before two parole commissioners.
Davis claims he killed Gary Hinman, the musician, and Donald Stuntman. “Shorty”Shea in 1969. He previously said he cut Shea with a knife and held a gun while Manson cut Hinman’s face with a sword.
“I wanted to be Charlie’s favorite guy,”During a 2014 parole hearing, it was said.
Then, other followers wrote “political piggy” on the wall of Hinman’s home in his own blood.
Davis was not involved with the more famous killings of Sharon Tate and six other victims by the Manson cult in the same year.
“The last 14 commissioners of the parole board found Bruce Davis suitable for parole,” as did the last nine experts who found him at a low risk for violence, said Beckman, Davis’ attorney. “For these two commissioners to think they know better is appalling.”
Gov. Gavin Newsom consistently rejected parole recommendations to Davis and other Manson followers. Davis died in prison at the age of 83 in 2017. Jerry Brown and Arnold Schwarzenegger were the governors that blocked his release.
Anthony DiMaria, a nephew of victim Thomas Jay Sebring, argued against Davis’ parole on behalf of Hinman’s family.
“Bruce Davis remains in prison because his crimes were so severe and profound that they shook our country to its core with permanent repercussions,”DiMaria.