Great-gran, aged 93, was left waiting over nine hours for an ambulance

Beryl Murray (93) was made to wait more than nine hours “writhing in pain”After breaking her leg, she lay on the ground at her Great Barr home waiting for an ambulance.

Beryl Murray (93) had to wait nine hours before an ambulance arrived

A great-gran aged 93 was made to wait “in agony”After breaking her leg, she lay on the floor for over nine hours until an ambulance arrived to her home.

Beryl Murray was “writhing in pain”Her family recalled how they watched as she was being carried around by her relatives. “colour was changing”During the waiting for medical assistance at her Birmingham home.

On Tuesday afternoon, March 22, her right leg gave way as she moved from her walker to a stairlift. She was able reach for her careline alarm and it notified the ambulance at 5.22pm.

Stephen, her son, and Wendy (her wife), received the alert too. They drove 70 miles from Stonesfield in Oxfordshire to get it.

However, paramedics did not arrive until 2.33 AM the following morning, nine hours after the original report. “category two” call.

Sandwell Hospital eventually took her in.


Birmingham Mail

According to West Midlands Ambulance Service, the setback was due to “hospital handover delays”The Murray family, however, has called for an extension of the wait time “totally unacceptable”And said “something has to change”To prevent tragedy.

Wendy, daughter-in-law, said: “It was nine hours of her writhing in pain, it was awful to watch. My husband was very distressed seeing his mum like that. It’s totally unreasonable that someone of 93 and in that level of pain should have to endure that for such a long period of time.

“She lives on her feet and we live in Oxford, so we drove straight there after we received the call. She was in severe pain and couldn’t move her leg. Luckily, a neighbor was able get her to her.

“When we called the ambulance to find out how long they would be, we were warned it could take up to six hours because they were so busy. We called back a few times but it was after 2.30am by the time the ambulance arrived, which is just totally unacceptable.

“We tried to make her feel as comfortable as we could until the ambulance arrived. We didn’t move her because she was complaining of pain in the lower back.

Sandwell hospital discovered that Ms. Murray had broken her leg.


Birmingham Mail

“Her colour was changing so we were getting really worried. She just kept saying ‘I’m in so much pain’ and ‘my leg is hurting so much’.

“The hospital informed us that she had broken her left leg the following day. This was a huge shock. It was even more difficult knowing how much pain she must have endured for so long.

“Above all, something has to change. People could lose their lives if it doesn’t.”

One week after her fall, Beryl is still in Sandwell Hospital waiting for an operation to her leg.

Beryl and her loved ones were offered an apology by West Midlands Ambulance Service. “severe pressure”Face to face with the NHS Following up calls, they said that the patient’s condition hadn’t changed.

A spokesperson for the ambulance service stated that: “We would like to apologise to Ms Murray and her family for the time it took to reach her. The whole of the NHS remains under severe pressure and unfortunately, hospital handover delays mean some patients are waiting far longer for an ambulance to come to them than we would want.

“A paramedic in our control room contacted the patient to check on her condition. The paramedic would have upgraded the call had her condition changed.

“We continue to work with local partners to find ways to reduce the delays so that our crews can respond more quickly. Our staff and volunteers continue to work tirelessly to respond as soon as we can.”

Read More

Continue reading


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here