Eight stunning moments from Meghan Markle’s privacy case, as she wins legal appeal

Meghan Markle won her legal battle against Mail On Sunday for a leaked letter she received from her father.

Meghan sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), its publisher, over five articles which reproduced portions of the story. “personal and private”Thomas Markle’s August 2018 letter

The Duchess won the case earlier this year. However, the publisher filed an appeal in November, arguing that the case should be heard in full.

Today, Meghan has won another legal victory.

Meghan stated in a statement following the ruling: “This is a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right.”







Meghan Markle has won the most recent stage of her privacy battle
(

Image:

Chris Jackson/Getty Images

Here are some key moments from this case…

Meghan’s first win

Meghan first announced that she would bring a case against ANL for 2019.

They were accused of misusing private information, copyright infringement, and violating the Data Protection Act. She published five articles in February 2019.

In February, she won her High Court privacy case after her lawyers had argued that ANL had violated her rights. “no prospect”defence of her claim for misused of private information, and breach of copyright.

They requested the High Court to grant their request “summary judgment”These claims would be subject to a legal procedure that would resolve the case without the need to go to trial.







Meghan and Prince Harry, her husband
(

Image:

Getty Images

Are you a fan of the royals? Get the Mirror’s daily email newsletter and all the latest news from The Firm, including the Queen, Charles Charles, Kate, Wills Meghan Harry, Wills, Kate, Wills and Wills. Register now

Mr Justice Warby granted Meghan the right to marry in his judgment “summary judgment”in her claim of misuse of private data.

The Judge stated: “The claimant had a reasonable expectation that the contents of the letter would remain private.

“Mail articles contradicted this reasonable expectation.”

In a statement after the February ruling, Meghan said: “After two years of litigation, I am thankful to the courts that Associated Newspapers was held accountable for their dehumanizing and illegal practices.”

Meghan drafted the letter to her dad ‘knowing it could be leaked’






Meghan and Thomas, her estranged dad

The publisher appealed against last month’s summary judgment and requested that it be tried. He also presented new evidence during a three-day hearing.

The publisher’s lawyers said that Thomas Markle wanted to respond to criticisms made by Meghan’s friends, who had interviewed him for People magazine in the US.

During the hearing, the Court of Appeal was informed that Meghan had told an ex-aide the handwritten note she sent to her estranged dad. “drafted with the understanding that it could be leaked.”

Jason Knauf was the communications secretary to Meghan & Harry from August 2018 to March 2019. He said that the Duchess had indicated that she was aware that Thomas could make the letter public.

Mr Knauf said Meghan had “deliberately ended each page part way through a sentence so that no page could be falsely presented as the end of the letter.

“She wanted to share the entire narrative, in case it was leaked.”

Meghan ‘called her father “daddy” in letter to pull on heartstrings if leaked’

It was also claimed in the hearing last month that Meghan called her father daddy in the letter to pull on people’s heartstrings if it was leaked.

Mr Knauf said in his written evidence: “She also asked about the use of the term “daddy” to address Mr Markle in her letter. She replied, “Given that I have only ever called him daddy it may be logical to open it as such (despite the fact that he is less than paternal, and in the unfortunate case that it leaked it might pull at the heartstrings”.”

Claims Meghan wrote the letter after ‘seeing how much pain this is causing H’







Jason Knauf was Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s former communication secretary
(

Image:

REUTERS)

Last month, Mr Knauf stated that Meghan had been remarried in his Court of Appeal statement. “lost confidence that the privacy of her communication with her father would be respected by him”His efforts resulted in his “increasing co-operation with reporters and photographers”.

He claimed that Meghan had written the following in a series text messages he received. “catalyst”For writing the letter to Mr Markle (77), was “seeing how much pain this is causing H.”

M. Knauf also stated that the Duchess informed him she was sending the letter. “in part to allow the Duke to demonstrate to his family that some action was being taken by the couple to stop Mr Markle from continuing to engage with the media.”

He also added: “On the specific issue of the letter, the Duchess indicated in messages to me that she recognised that it was possible that Mr Markle would make the letter public.

“She wanted to write a formal letter, rather than sending an email or a text message. This was one of the options she discussed with senior Royal Household staff.”

Continuing giving evidence, Mr Knauf said that Meghan “Feeling ‘fantastic after writing her letter'”

He added that she said: “If he leaks it, then that’s on him conscious (sic), but at least the rest of the world will be aware. “Words I wouldn’t speak publicly.””

Claims Meghan and Harry did help authors of Finding Freedom







The biography Finding Freedom
(

Image:

REUTERS)

Last month, the Court of Appeal heard that Meghan and Harry were also being represented by the Court of Appeal. “authorised specific cooperation in writing in December 2018″Thank you to the authors Finding Freedom .

The biography was published in August 2020 and details the lives of the Duke of Sussex and the Duchess.

The book was described by the royal couple as an unauthorised biography. They previously stated that they were not interviewed or contributed to it. Finding Freedom.

Mr Knauf says “the book was discussed directly with the Duchess multiple times in person and over email”And that Meghan gave to him “helpful” written “background reminders”Briefing notes

Knauf says that in an email: “The Duchess…added the briefing points she wanted me to share with the authors in my meeting with them.”

And, in a December 2018 email to the aide, he says Harry wrote: “I totally agree we have to be able to say we didn’t have anything to do with it.

“Equally, you giving the right context and background to them would help get some truths out there…especially around Markle/wedding stuff…”

Later, Meghan apologized to the court for not remembering to give authorisation to Mr Knauf to talk to the authors. Finding Freedom .

She stated in written evidence: “I apologise to the Court for the fact that I had not remembered these exchanges at the time.

“I had no intention or desire to mislead the Court or the Defendant.”

Meghan was ‘eager to please’ Royal Family







Harry and Meghan with other Royal Family members on the Buckingham Palace balcony
(

Image:

Chris Jackson/Getty Images

Meghan’s lawyers opposed Meghan’s appeal and ANL’s request for the Court of Appeal not to consider Mr Knauf’s evidence last month as part of its challenge. The Duchess responded with her own statement.

She said that she was “eager to please”The Royal Family and was “especially sensitive”to their concerns regarding her father’s health. “public attacks”They are available.

She stated in a statement: “It is correct that, as I said in my texts to Mr Knauf, the situation was putting significant pressure on my husband, both externally and by his family, and I felt strongly that I needed to do something about it.

“Even if my attempts to stop my father from talking to the media were unsuccessful, I believed that my husband would be capable of telling his family that I did everything possible to stop it.”

The Duchess also said the letter was “Only viable option” for communicating with her father, which would not have been the case before the “Media intrusion” into their relationship.

Meghan’s second win






Meghan’s statement in response to today’s ruling

Today Meghan achieved her second legal victory. The Court of Appeal upheld the original Judge’s decision and dismissed the appeal.

Judge Sir Geoffrey Vos gave a summary of the decision: “The Court of Appeal upheld the Judge’s decision that the Duchess had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the contents of the letter.

“These contents were private, not public and did not concern legitimate public interest.

“The articles in the Mail on Sunday interfered with the Duchess’ reasonable expectation of privacy and were not a justified or proportionate means of correcting inaccuracies about the letter.”

He explained his reasoning by saying: “It was hard to see what evidence could have been adduced at trial that would have altered the situation.

“The judge was in the best position of any trial judge to review the People magazine article, The Mail On Sunday articles and the letter to decide if it was appropriate to publish the contents of The Mail On Sunday to refute Mr Markle’s allegations.

“The judge had correctly decided that, whilst it might have been proportionate to publish a very small part of the letter for that purpose, it was not necessary to publish half the contents of the letter as ANL had done.”

Meghan’s statement

Meghan released the following statement in response to today’s decision: “This is a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right.

“Although this victory is significant, it is not the most important thing. It is what we have done to change a tabloid business that encourages cruel behavior and profits from the suffering.

“From day one, I have treated this lawsuit as an important measure of right versus wrong. The Defendant has treated it as a game with no rules.

“The more they kept it going, the more they were able to twist facts and manipulate people (even during appeal), making an easy case extremely complicated in order generate more headlines.

“In the nearly three years since this began, I have been patient in the face of deception, intimidation and calculated attacks.

The Duchess’s statement continued: “The courts have held defendants accountable, and I hope we can all do the same.

“Because as far removed as it may seem from your personal life, it’s not. Tomorrow it could be you.

“These harmful practices do not happen every day. They are an everyday occurrence that divides us.

Continue reading

Continue reading

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here