After the Hollywood apartment’s roof collapses, residents are at odds with their management

After the Hollywood apartment’s roof collapsed on Wednesday morning, a woman aged 77 and her baby girl of 7 months are doing fine. Management and residents are still at odds about who was responsible.

Andy Ayla was shocked to see blood when he returned home from his Carlton Way apartment with his grandmother. Their 40-year-old home was demolished with a large hole in the ceiling, and two of their loved ones were also injured.

Around 10 a.m., Andy’s 77-year-old grandmother and 7-month-old niece were in the living room sitting on the couch as pieces of the ceiling began falling.

According to the family, the baby had been rushed to the hospital with injuries to her head and scratched skin. She was released from the hospital shortly afterward.

Neighbors said they weren’t surprised something like this happened right next door.

“I’m constantly calling for plumbing issues, water is running, toilets are running, cockroaches are unbelievable,”Fiona Duncan, a resident in the complex said so.

Ayla claimed that he had been worried about something similar happening and tried repeatedly to get property management to address the problem.

“We had a leak two months ago from the upstairs apartment,” Ayla said. “We called the management, they didn’t care about it and just called the guy and told him turn off the water.”

In video from March 15 shared with KTLA, water is seen coming from an upstairs apartment and into Ayla’s living room. Water was even seen coming through the kitchen light fixture. Ayla stated that they had made numerous unanswered claims against Wilshire Properties, the management group.

“They didn’t say nothing, they didn’t care and obviously this happened,” Ayla said.

Niv Davidovich, a lawyer representing Wilshire Properties, is his client. His client, he said, is an “extremely conscientious and attentive manager who responds to every request for repairs and maintenance.”

For residents like Duncan and Ayla, they say that couldn’t be further from the truth.

“They never sent a plumber out or anybody to inspect what happened,”Duncan said.

Davidovich claimed that contractors found the source of leakage. They concluded that it had nothing to do the building and was caused by negligence on the part of the individual who lived there. Ayla didn’t necessarily disagree, but said they tried to talk with their neighbor about the leak. He said they simply didn’t care.

According to the lawyer representing the property company, his client had done everything possible.

“They cannot predict unpredictable things, they can not see things that are hidden, but even when that occurs they take responsibility, they make immediate repairs and they take responsibility that their tenants are safe,” Davidovich said.

Davidovich informed residents that they have been given a hotel room for the night by the property managers. He also stated that repairs had been made Wednesday night so that they could return to the unit on Thursday. However, some residents stated that they are still not safe to return.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here