LOS ANGELES — Carlos SantanaHe has had a successful heart procedure and is now cancelling several Las Vegas shows scheduled for December.
In a video message released Wednesday on social media, Santana said he asked his wife to take him to the hospital on Saturday because of an issue with his chest. “I’m going to be taking time off for a little bit to make sure that I replenish and I rest and I catch up with my health,” Santana said.
“Other than that, I hope you and your family are enjoying good health, peace of mind and joy,” Santana concluded.
Michael Vrionis of Universal Tone Management said that the 74 year-old guitarist went through an “internal” procedure. “unscheduled heart procedure,”However, they did not provide any details.
The 10-time Grammy winner’s heart procedure and recovery prompted the cancellation of his concerts at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino through the end of the year. He’s set to resume performances in January, his management said.
“Carlos is doing fantastic and is anxious to be back on stage soon,”Vrionis made the statement. “He profoundly regrets that this ‘speed bump’ necessitated the cancellation of his upcoming performances.”
“He is looking forward to seeing you all very soon,”The statement was read.
Santana released the album earlier this year. “Blessings and Miracles,”Collaborations with Rob Thomas, Chris Stapleton, and many others.
In May 2020, Santana announced the death of his younger brother, guitarist Jorge Santana, at age 68 on his Facebook page. He died of natural causes, the family said.
“We take time to celebrate the magnificent spirit of our beloved brother, Jorge,” Carlos Santana wrote. “He transitioned unto the realm of light that cast no shadow the eyes of my heart clearly see him right in between our glorious and magnificent mother Josefina and our father Jose.”
Contributing: Russell Contreras, Associated Press